Sunday, August 12, 2012

You Guys, I Sewed!!!

So I looked around for a while for the perfect crib bedding for baby boy.  I was less than impressed with the selection of cute jungle animal bedding.  So, I decided maybe I would make my own quilt.  This is a little crazy, because as long as I can remember, I've hated sewing.  I decided that if I enlisted my mom to help me, it could probably be done.

I bought a sewing machine back in November and it was still in the box.  My mother-in-law gave me an awesome sewing box and a ton of great sewing tools for Christmas.  Those, too, sat unused. 

I searched the internet to find the perfect fabric.  I happened upon fabric.com, imagine that, and found a bunch of cute patterns.  And since they were all the same brand, I knew the colors would match.  I narrowed down my choices and dropped a wad of cash on a bunch of cute fabric. 

Once the fabric came I washed and ironed it.  I then cut out a zillion fabric squares with a rotary cutter.  Why would anybody not use a rotary cutter?  That thing is amazing!  My mom came over Tuesday night to help me get started.  After we figured out how to set-up and thread my sewing machine, my mom sewed the first three squares together.  I was nervous, but I took over from there. 

I'm sewing!

 My eyes are closed, but I gotta give my mom some blog credit.

By the next night, I had all the squares sewn together!  I figured I would end up meeting with my mom again to do some more work, but I kind of got the hang of it.

Jesse helped me out with cutting more fabric (long pieces) and folding over the binding and pinning all the layers together, because that is definitely not a one-person job.  Jesse really is a trooper.  Even though he doesn't sew, he still had some pretty good ideas/tips to try.  When I screwed up a whole side of the quilt, he grabbed a seam ripper and we pulled the thread out together.  With Jesse's help and encouragement, I decided to just try and throw it all together. 

It's not perfect.  It's definitely a little uneven in a few parts, but I don't care.  I just love it!








Not bad for my first sewing project since 7th grade Home Ec!  (I made uneven shorts and an M&M's sewing bag).

Next up: crib skirt and curtain with the leftover fabric.  I feel like those will be easy after this!



7 comments:

  1. Holy crap--this quilt looks soooo amazing!! That fabric is adorable. And it all looks really even to me :) You did an awesome job.

    And rotary cutters are seriously amazing. Love, love, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job! I can't even make a straight blanket, ha ha!
    Love that pattern too, way better than any store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're what, 26 weeks along? Right on schedule for the craftiness to kick in, I'm pretty sure that's when I bought my sewing machine. Your first attempt is pretty awesome, I would totally buy that if I saw it in a store

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya! It looks so good! I love the fabric choices and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, My Dear, do not give yourself enough credit. You are very creative! You had a vision in your mind of what you wanted and look how awesome it turned out! It's very unique. Lucky Nathaniel. He can take it with him when he goes to college. That's what you and Krissie did with the quilts I made you. Do boys do that, though??

    I love you oodles!!!
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job!! Those fabrics are so cute!

    ReplyDelete