Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The First Trimester

So, since people always ask, I'm assuming people want to know. This pregnancy was planned, but it was still a surprise.

Jesse and I wanted to have another baby. We had been feeling like it was time, but we figured it would take a while, like it had with Nathaniel. Not to mention, I'm still breastfeeding, so we figured that would probably add to the time frame. Nathaniel and I were not ready to stop breastfeeding, so I just hoped it wouldn't interfere. I went off the pill around Christmas and got my positive test on February 22nd. That was definitely a huge surprise! When I showed the test to Jesse, he was just really shocked. He said he was going to tell me to take a test because I had been extra mean recently...

"Morning" sickness hit at 6 weeks. It's been worse this time. I called my OB office twice to ask for Zofran, but the nurse wouldn't give it to me. So after a few days of not keeping anything down, and losing 7 pounds in less than a week, I finally went to Urgent care right about 8 weeks along. They had no problem giving me a shot of Zofran and a prescription for it. So now Zofran and I are friends again. I'm hoping this relationship will not last the whole pregnancy again, but if it does, I'll just remember to be grateful.  I'm kinda hoping I can get by on just taking Unisom and Vitamin B6 at night soon, since it's the safest nausea medicine for pregnancy.

I'm not a big fan of food these days, but almost daily I eat a Greek salad or a salad with some tangy vinaigrette (not Balsamic though, yuck) dressing and hummus. I don't know why, but it hits the spot. I would've thought all that acid would cause me more problems, but I usually keep it down. I also eat a banana every morning to settle my stomach and help with the acid burn. I also seem to crave milk a lot when I'm pregnant. I guess it's good, because it helps with the heartburn! Last time I couldn't stand minty things or gum, but this time, Wintermint Orbit has helped me out a few times. And I absolutely LOVE cold water. I wish I could get by on water alone. Oh, and I finally kicked my Dr. Pepper habit! It sounds absolutely terrible to me now!

I'm definitely tired, but I still have to go to work full-time, so there's not much I can do about it. When I'm at home I have a little munchkin who never stops, so Daddy has had to take the reigns more often than not lately. He's been so great with entertaining Nathaniel, cooking, and
cleaning up the kitchen (I can't stand the smell of the sink or dirty dishes).

Right now Jesse and I are both feeling like it's a girl. Our feelings are not as strong as they were with Nathaniel, but that's where we're leaning right now. I just think Nathaniel would be so cute with a little sister! If Old Wives Tales are true (they were way off with Nathaniel), this baby is a girl. Besides the "morning" sickness, I am breaking out like crazy! I broke out in the beginning with Nathaniel, but then my face cleared up for pretty much the rest of the pregnancy. So that still remains to be seen. We will find out in the beginning of June if it's a little girl or boy!

As far as preeclampsia goes, we have no way of knowing if it'll show up again. The doctor said that the most common factor among women with preeclampsia is that it's their first pregnancy, but just as many women have it in the second pregnancy as those who don't. So basically, it could really go either way, and we'll just have to watch my blood pressure and protein levels. Personally, I feel like the level of preeclampsia I had was so low that I don't think it'll repeat. But what do I know? I'm no doctor.

12 Weeks

14 weeks

And I got a nice surprise at my last appointment with Dr. Sundstrom. He said we could take a peek at the baby just for fun! So far, this baby seems much more calm than Nathaniel. It had its little legs crossed and "waved" at me. Nathaniel was always kicking and flailing in ultrasounds, and he still is today!

In the bottom, you can see that little hand waving at me!


4 comments:

  1. I say girl too!! I'm sorry that it took forever to get the morning sickness medication. That's frustrating that the nurse wouldn't get it for you. Oh well, at least you've got it now to settle everything. Congratulations on kicking the Dr. Pepper habit! How'd you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^I hate it when I'm not logged in when I comment!

    So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bump is ridiculously cute! And that little profile and waving hand! AH! There's a baby in there! I hope you get a little relief from the puking soon, and I can't wait to see if this baby is a girl. I will be solo surprised if its not!

    ReplyDelete