Sunday, October 14, 2012

Greetings from Hospital Land

So, I was thinking maybe I should do a series on my blog of my hospital adventures.  Then I realized I'm not really having any adventures.  haha.  I'll just give a little overview of my happenings that led me to my new home for the next three weeks.

Monday I went to see Dr. Price for my routine check-up.  She was a little bothered by my blood pressure, which was 138/92.  It wasn't crazy high, but it was definitely high for me.  Also, she just said I looked puny, my feet were really swollen, and I was hyper reflexive.  I never knew that last one was a bad thing.  So, she said she wanted me to do a 24-hour urine sample and also she was sending me straight over to triage to monitor the baby and my bp for a while.  She also wanted me back in one week, rather than two.  What?!?  I was really surprised by this, and let my coworker know there was a good chance I wouldn't be back before the end of the day.

I went to triage and sat partially upright in the most uncomfortable "bed" ever!  Seriously, in a room specifically for pregnant women, you'd think they'd make things a little more comfortable.  Anyway, they hooked up the fetal monitor, the bp cuff, drew some blood, and took a urine sample.  Baby boy hated the monitors and lodged himself as far up into my ribs as he could.  And my partial sitting position made this all the more uncomfortable.  I had a really awesome nurse and tech, and they were super nice.  After about an hour-and-a-half or so of somewhat high blood pressures, they had me turn on my left side, and sure enough, my bp went down significantly.  Dr. McKinney was on-call, and she came by and told me things were looking good with my labs, but she wanted me to stay home from work on bed rest until I dropped off the 24-hour urine sample.  She also wanted me to come back for triage to be monitored and to get the results of my sample.

So I took the next day off and spent most of it on my left side, monitoring my bp all day.  It was fine laying down, but still worrisome when sitting up.  My feet didn't swell at all, though.  I really think the weather played a big part in all of that nasty swelling.  I did my sample and Jesse and I went and dropped it off at the lab and headed back to triage around 7 p.m. or so.  This time they had me flat on my back.  Worst position ever.  My bp's were still high, so they turned me on my side to get better readings.  They told me my urine sample (not the 24-hour one) was good and they were waiting on the lab for the results of the big one.  After a while they told me my urine was clean, got a few more bp readings, baby looked great, so they sent me home and said to just take it easy.  I was not seen by a doctor this time. 

So, I went to work the next day as usual.  I monitored my bp and laid down on the couch a few times when it was getting high.  I went to DOE for a lunch meeting.  Bad idea.  Walking from the parking lot up and down stairs really spiked my bp.  So when we got back to the office I took it easy.  Jesse and I even went to the Tennessee Walmart.  Worse idea.  We initially only went for two things, but were there an hour getting lots of stuff, including stuff for my hospital bag, just in case.  My bp after that trip was like 147/98, but I'm pretty sure that place would do that to me under normal circumstances... Thursday I went to work again, and my bp's were a little high, but not crazy high.

That night, I got an email from Dr. Price saying she had flagged the OB scheduler to call me first thing in the a.m. as they had scheduled me for an appt. the next day.  I was a little confused, since my next appointment was just three days away.  Why couldn't I wait the weekend? 

I took my mom to the appointment.  I'm glad I did.  Dr. Price came in and told me that my urine sample wasn't good.  I was so confused.  She also said that the right way to get bp is sitting up, and that by laying me on my side, they were really just manipulating the numbers.  Awesome.  So, here I am thinking, "crap, she's probably gonna put me on like partial bed rest or even full bed rest or something."  She said my protein numbers meant that I had mild preeclampsia.  What?  I'm pretty sure they definitely said I didn't in triage!  She then went on to tell me that this meant hospitalization until the baby was born, which would be in three weeks (full term) or less if necessary.  At this point, I didn't even know what to think.  I wanted to cry, but I kept it together until she left the room.  She said I could go home and pack my stuff and come back, as long as I was admitted in a few hours. 

Luckily, I had just purchased a bunch of things I needed for my hospital bag a few nights earlier and had started to pack it.  I grabbed the rest of the stuff I needed, took a shower, and my mom and Krissie took me back to the hospital where I was admitted.  I'm allowed to go to the bathroom and shower on my own, but I can't go walking around the halls or anything.  If I want to leave my room, I can, but someone has to push me in a wheelchair...

Dr. Hume from Maternal Fetal came down yesterday and did an ultrasound.  Nathan looks great.  Everything is perfect with him, and he is not affected by the preeclampsia.  Since this is the case, they said they will plan on inducing at 37 weeks.  The only way we'll do anything earlier is if my bp gets crazy or if baby boy gets "poopy" (Dr. Price's words, haha).  They gave me steroid shots in the butt (OUCH) just in case, to get his lungs fully developed, but he most likely will be able to stay in until full-term.  Also, if he were to try and come on his own sooner than that, they wouldn't stop him.  He is measuring about 6 pounds, which is big for 34 weeks.  Dr. Price said if I went to my due date, we'd be looking at 9 pounds!  What?  I'm not convinced.  haha.  I don't know why, but this whole time I've been sure we weren't having a big baby.  And I'm not even measuring big at all, so I guess he must just be super cramped in there or something.

Jesse slept here the last couple nights on an uncomfortable pull-out chair bed.  I told him during the week I am completely okay with him sleeping at home because I know he's stressed out with work and school and church callings.  And I really want him getting some sleep.  I'm a big girl, and I can sleep alone for a few weeks. Plus, they give me Ambien here.  Which is awesome.

Anywho, I have a few homey touches in my room that my family members have brought me.

Krissie and Andrew 2 brought me little pumpkins and sharpies so I can decorate them, since I won't be going to the Pumpking Patch or carving anything this year.  At least now I don't have to come up with a clever costume...

Andrew and Nicholas brough the flowers.  Lindy and Jesse brought the pictures.  My mom and family also brought me some snacks, since they only give me 3 meals here.  Pregnant women can't live on 3 meals!!!

My sweet new wardrobe.  Haha, I really don't mind.  The gowns are comfortable, and the nurse said I can wear underwear.  I much prefer wearing underwear.

Also, about two or three weeks ago, Old Navy was having a really big sale, so I bought 4 new dresses and a dressy shirt, thinking I still had 8 weeks to go, and dresses would be the most comfortable things to wear anyway.  So much for that.  I didn't even get to wear one of my new dresses to church! haha. Maybe I can belt them and wear them afterward.


Fresh new toes to brighten things up.  And my feet aren't all swollen anymore!  Lindy came by last night with a purse full of nail polish and remover and did my fingers and toes.  It was great!  I feel like a new woman. haha

Thursday at 5:30, my boss is hosting a baby shower for Jesse and for me.  It's coed and everyone's invited.  I assumed things would be off, but the shower is still happening.  Lori says Jesse will just have to be the center of attention, whether he likes it or not.  haha.  And I'm going to be Skyping in!  Good thing I brought my make-up bag... Anyone who can go, please do!  Support my dear Jesse. He really does hate being the center of attention.

It's 5:30-7:00 at 519 North Gadsden Street.  I'm not sure what the parking situtation is just yet, but I'll find that out.


So anyway, I'm so excited to meet baby boy so soon, but I feel totally unprepared and nervous!  Jesse and I were taking prepared childbirth the first weekend in November.  Not gonna happen...  I thought I still had six weeks to get everything together and mentally prepare to PUSH OUT A BABY!!! Yikes.  I haven't even bought any nursing bras yet.  If you have any suggestions for a good one, let me know, so Jesse can go pick it up for me.  I still wanted to get a new coming home outfit for him, but I just grabbed something we already had.  Which is fine.  I am glad we were able to go to the breastfeeding and CPR classes.  But still, I know nothing about birthing and breathing techniques, and whatnot.  I guess I've got some time to do some research.  Haha.  Thank goodness for laptops and Wi-Fi.  And Netflix.  I may even crack open a book... we'll see. 

I am definitely open to visitors!  3 weeks is a long time.  I could especially use visitors Mon-Friday during the work day.  I know most people work then, but those are gonna be some boring times for me. haha.  Visitors are allowed from 9 am to 9 pm, 4 at a time.  I'm in The Women's Pavilion at TMH in room 371.  You can bring me snacks, but I'm on a low-sodium diet, so nothing too salty.  And, no caffeine...

Well, I'm sure I have more to say, but I'm pretty sure I just wrote a novel and it's probably more than anyone wants to read! haha.  I really am so thrilled and happy to meet our little boy in just a few weeks. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am glad it isn't too awful for you! It is crazy to think you still have so long to prepare and suddenly you don't! Thank goodness for Internet research, huh? You probably don't want to buy any nursing bras now, you should wait until your milk comes in...although a nursing tank or night time nursing bra would still fit after... I wish I could come visit you in the hospital :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy story!! Thankfully Dr. Price caught it in time. I love the little homey touches though to the room. I have Tuesdays and Thursdays off so if I get my school work caught up I'll totally come chill with you for a little bit. I have to pick Chris up from work anyway at the florida bar so not to far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh tanya! so nuts! i will definitely come on a lunch break then to help your boring days go by! silver lining, you get your sweet boy in three weeks instead of eight?! yay!

    ReplyDelete