Wednesday, March 27, 2013

5 Months!

Yesterday, my little man hit his 5-month mark and I still can't believe it!  It seems like just yesterday I was pregnant and wishing to not be pregnant anymore. haha
Anyway, he's getting a lot more interested in everything.  He loves to look at different people and move around.  He wants so badly to be able to get up and go on his own, and I think once he's mobile, he'll be much happier in general. Unfortunately, he hates tummy time so much that I worry he'll have trouble crawling.

Most of the time he just shoves his face into the blanket and screams until we pick him up or he falls asleep.


He loves books.  But he mostly just wants to eat them...

He is a grump when he wakes up in the morning!  (He gets that from me.)

He's very tech savvy.  (He gets that from his daddy.)

He loves to hang out with daddy.
 
He loves oatmeal.

I even let him hold the spoon!  (I promptly took it back when he started gagging himself.)

He likes to play with his cool toys, and even lets mommy have ten minutes to get some work done.  Sometimes.


He's very interactive and loves to hold on to things and put them in his mouth.  He can roll very easily from tummy to back, but he hasn't gotten the hang of back to tummy, and I don't think he'd like the result anyway.

Other than that, things haven't changed a whole lot.  He still wears 0-3 month and 3-month pants, 3 month onesies, 3-6 month jammies, and size 2 diapers, which almost fit him right.  I found a few size one diapers in my car, and they still fit him okay.

We moved him into his own room in his crib and he seems to sleep much better in there.  He doesn't fight me to go to bed anymore and when he wakes up, we usually just wait and let him cry himself back to sleep.  He usually goes back to sleep fairly quickly.  

But of course, we can't have everything.  He is sleeping better at night, but naps are pretty much a joke.  He will nap in a swing.  Sometimes.  He was taking a two-hour nap every morning around 10 and occasionally another nap later in the afternoon.  Lately, he's been cutting his morning nap down to about 40-50 minutes, with a few power naps while nursing throughout the rest of the day.  So he's basically going all day with a total of an hour to 1.5 hours of sleep.  I think that's the root of most of his fussing and crankiness.  He's been having more stretches of happy and they seem to last longer, he just can't be put down to play by himself at all.  Even with a swing at home, weekend naps are virtually a dream.  I'm just hoping he starts to realize how nice naps really are.  I would gladly take all of his naps for him!

Enough complaining.  I love this little man and his sweet little smiles and his noisy bubble-blowing, which he is so proud of.  He can get his feet in his mouth now, which makes him extra happy.  He even giggles every once in a while, but you really have to work for it.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how time flies! I love when babies start to stick their feet in their mouths! Hopefully because you have the tough stuff now it will be easier later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! He is such a cutie. He was GOBBLING that rice cereal on that video you posted. How long can he stay with you at work? Good luck with the naps. Hope the woombie is working out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves oatmeal even more! haha. I'll have him at work until Lindy is able to start watching him, which will be nice. The Woombie is great. I think he knows when I zip him up in it, there's no use fighting too much because he's going in his crib and if he cries, we're not gonna rush in and get him. He usually just fusses himself back to sleepy okay.

      Delete
  3. Henry absolutely hated tummy time for the longest time, until he gradually got strong enough to do push-ups and what we call the skydiver. Then he loved it because he was more in control than when he was on his back. It takes practice, but he will figure it out. He is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. That gives me hope. He didn't hate tummy time the first six weeks or so and definitely can push himself up really well, he just gets frustrated right off the bat! Crazy child.

      Delete
  4. My kids hated tummy time, so I didn't do it too much. They weren't super early crawlers, but that is okay because I Hate the crawling stage :)

    I think you are right. His fussiness is probably caused by no naps-especially because he is fussy most at night. Try to see if he will go back to bed on his own when he wakes up the first time. Just leave him in there for a little bit. All I can really say is thank goodness they don't need naps forever.

    ReplyDelete