Monday, November 4, 2013

The First of Many House Projects


We have a lot of things to do on the house, but there were a few things I absolutely wanted to have finished before Nathaniel's birthday party.  Our living room is all wood paneling.  It's solid wood and everything, but it had too much of a cabin/cave feel.  The entry way and hallway are also full of wood.  They are lined with bead board, which is a look I like, but it needed to be painted.

We spent weeks getting the walls prepped, filling in thousands of holes and gouges, sanding, and cleaning.  Finally, we were able to start priming.  And it took forever.  I had to do a lot of the work by myself in the evenings while Jesse worked on homework.  Lindy came over three separate times to help sand, prime, paint, and decorate.  Really, the decor is all her.

We still need to do a few touch-ups, but overall, it looks so much better!

Before (most of the before pictures show the walls filled with wood putty):

 
   
        


After:
We still have to refinish this floor.
And I got a lot of paint on this floor...
 
We still have to add baseboards and crown molding, take down the dingy popcorn ceilings, do something about the fan, and maybe even paint the fireplace, but the results so far give us motivation to keep going!


 

Next up: creepy green stairwell.



5 comments:

  1. Love it! That was so. much. work. And I know I helped with just the teensiest bit of the iceburg. But it looks sooooo much better already! So light and bright! Thank you for letting me live out my home renovation dreams vicariously :) You know I'm always up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really looks great now! it makes me wish we had a hallway that we could put bead board in. i secretly love painting so hit me up if you want a painting party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW it looks sooooo much better! It really does brighten it up a lot more. Can't wait to see more. Call me too if you need a painting buddy =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The difference is amazing! Really I don't know what people in the 70s and 80s were thinking. Who wants to live in a dark cave? Your house is so bright and cheerful now. And the floors actually look pretty cool now that they're not blending into the walls

    ReplyDelete