Friday, December 7, 2012

Six Weeks!

I can't believe my little man is six weeks already!  He was 6 lbs 4 oz at birth.  He's up in the 9.5 lb range now!  He is super cute and super sweet.  He has finally gotten the hang (mostly) of nursing!  I've been nursing for over a week now!  I pumped and bottle fed for a few weeks and then practiced latching him for a few weeks.  He learned to latch, but then was super chompy.  He's still a bit chompy, but not as much.  Usually he only chomps for a minute or not at all!  Sometimes he also gets really frantic and throws his head and arms around and screams when I try to feed him.  We're working through it.  I was worried that he might not be getting enough so I took him to the support group so I could weigh him, and he took almost 4 oz!  He seems to spit up a lot more since we've been strictly nursing.  I still have to pump, and I'm trying to regulate my supply.  I was pumping 6-10 oz every 3-4 hours.  It's quite a bit more than he needs and if I don't want to have to keep pumping, I have to decrease it.  I've thought about maybe donating some of my milk.  I have a few gallons in my freezer and I know we won't use all of it.

Poor Nathaniel's jaundice came back.  It was practically gone with just a bit in his eyes and nose.  Last week he turned yellow again.  The doctor said it was probably breast milk jaundice, but if it wasn't gone by six weeks that I needed to get his blood checked again.  So yesterday I took him to get his poor little foot pricked.  I'm still waiting to hear from the doctor's office.  I really hope he's okay. 

I had my six-week doctor's appointment today.  The doctor said that because of the way I tore, as well as the fact that they had to use a vacuum on a 6 pounder, I'll probably have to have c-sections for the rest of my babies.  Also, I apparently have a retroverted uterus.  Who knew?

I normally don't go around telling everyone my weight, but I kinda don't care about that stuff anymore.  As of today, I am down to 151 lbs.  I got up to 180 during the pregnancy.  I was 138 when I got pregnant, but that was after two months of veganism.  I lost 12 pounds during those two months, so I'm kinda back to my normal-ish weight.  I would like to lose another ten pounds, but I don't have a gym membership anymore, and it's so hard for me to do anything right now.  Nathaniel doesn't like to be put down much.  And I need to cut out soda and cut back on the sweets.  Plus I go back to work Monday.  I'm not thrilled about working, but at least Nathaniel gets to come with me.

Well, I think that's about all I have right now.  We're going to go get our Christmas tree tonight.  I'm super excited for that.  Here's some pictures of my little chunky monkey.  He photographs much fatter than he looks in real life, though.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that nursing is going a lot better. It just took some time but he's a smarty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is starting to chunk up! it's awesome that he was able to finally get the hang of nursing! and i'm so impressed with how much milk you have stored up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 weeks?! He's getting so big. I love the chubbs he's starting to put on. So cuddley. And that picture of Jesse and baby nate on the couch is priceless.

    Way to go for not giving up on nursing! I know it wasn't easy, even a little bit on you both. But you did it!!!

    ReplyDelete